May 27, 2012
Inside the Big Donor-Advised Funds
Schwab Charitable Fund
Assets and Giving in 2011
Total assets of all donor-advised funds at the organization: $3.05-billion (+25.7% change from 2010)
Total amount donors contributed to their funds: $804.6-million (-13.2%)
Total sum donors channeled to charity from their funds: $504.3-million (+19.4%)
Number of funds: 13,666 (+10.3%)
About the Organization’s Funds
Average amount in each fund: $222,821 (+14%)
Minimum amount a donor must supply to open a fund: $5,000
Minimum a donor must give each time he or she adds to the fund: $500
Fees: $100 Minimum; 0.60% on the first $500,000 of assets; 0.30% on the next $500,000; 0.20% on the next $1,500,000.
Contributions to Charities
Accepts grant applications: No
Grant recipients*, a sampling:
- University of California at Berkeley Foundation, Berkeley, Calif. -- $1.5-million
- Zoological Society of the Palm Beaches, West Palm Beach, Fla. -- $5,000
- Family Centers, Greenwich, Ct. -- $100,000
- Covenant Theological Seminary, St. Louis -- $38,750
- Institute for Market Transformation, Washington -- $500,000
*Grants listed were made in 2010.
To see a full list of all contributions: A list of grants is available on the organization's IRS form 990.