May 27, 2012
Inside the Big Donor-Advised Funds
National Philanthropic Trust
Assets and Giving in 2011
Total assets of all donor-advised funds at the organization: $1.03-billion (+58.6% change from 2010)
Total amount donors contributed to their funds: $421.8-million (+84.2%)
Total sum donors channeled to charity from their funds: $149.5-million (-9.3%)
Number of funds: 1,909 (+31.1%)
About the Organization’s Funds
Average amount in each fund: $537,287 (+21%)
Minimum amount a donor must supply to open a fund: $25,000
Minimum a donor must give each time he or she adds to the fund: $5,000
Fees: Blended fees, which result in percentages ranging from 0.1-0.8% based on account size.
Contributions to Charities
Accepts grant applications: No
Grant recipients*, a sampling:
- YMCA of the East Valley, Redlands, Calif. -- $225,000
- National Gallery of Art, Landover, Md. -- $1,500
- Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Boston -- $500
- Housing Works, Austin -- $5,000
- Community Foundation of Jackson Hole, Jackson, Wy. -- $25,000
*Grants listed were made in 2010.
To see a full list of all contributions: A partial list of grants made from the fund are available on its annual report.