The families of many of those killed or injured in the Aurora movie theater shooting are urging Colorado’s governor to replace the nonprofit group administering a $5.2-million victims’ fund and speed distribution of the money, says the Associated Press.
In a news conference Thursday, victims’ relatives asked Gov. John Hickenlooper to appoint an arbitrator to oversee the Aurora Victims Relief Fund, amassed from donations in the wake of the July 20 massacre. In late August, the families had criticized management of the fund by the Community First Foundation, saying they have been shut out of aid decisions and received relatively little money.
The foundation has so far disbursed $5,000 to each family of the 12 killed and 58 wounded and $100,000 to 10 other nonprofit groups, including mental-health organizations.
Tom Teves, whose son was killed in the attack, said some wounded victims are in desperate financial straits, facing extensive medical and other bills and lacking insurance. “There have been two tragedies in Aurora,” he said. “The second is how the victims have been treated by the powers that be.”
Hickenlooper spokesman Eric Brown said the governor’s office is planning to bring Mile High United Way, other charities, and Aurora city officials into the relief process to determine the next steps. “Our sole objective is to help the victims and their families. We have heard their concerns,” Mr. Brown said.