One of the nonprofit groups managing a $5-million fund for those affected by last month’s Aurora, Colo., movie-theater shootings said the victims and their families will eventually receive all the donated money, reports the New York Daily News.
The statement by the Colorado Organization for Victim Assistance, or COVA, came after relatives of most of those killed in the July 20 massacre and several survivors held an emotional press conference Tuesday expressing anger at being left out of decisions on distributing contributions to the Aurora Victims Relief Fund.
So far, $350,000 of the fund has gone to victims or their families. That disbursement came after families complained to COVA and the Community First Foundation, which is administering the fund.
“One-hundred percent of donations made to COVA in the aftermath of the Aurora shooting are going directly to the victims,” the organization said. “COVA has been able to assist victims and their families with costs such as airfare, rental cars, and emergency-fund situations.”