Susan G. Komen for the Cure said on Friday it was retreating from a decision to cut support to Planned Parenthood.
“We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities,” Komen said in a statement.
In response, Planned Parenthood issued a statement from its president, Cecile Richards.
“During the last week, millions spontaneously joined a national conversation about lifesaving breast cancer prevention care and reinforced shared values about access to health care for all,” she said. “This compassionate outcry in support of those most in need rose above political, ideological, and cultural divides, and will surely be recognized as one of our nation’s better moments during a contentious political time.”
For a roundup on the controversy, see this article in The New York Times.