VP of Strategic Development & Partnerships
- November 30, 2012
- District of Columbia
- Other fields
- Commensurate with experience
- Application Deadline:
- Open until filled
- Capital campaigns, Corporate and foundation relations, Other fundraising
- Employment Level:
VP of Strategic Development & Partnerships
As a premier $9mm 501(c)(3) organization with 40 professional staff and 17 consultants, BoardSource supports, trains, and educates more than 60,000 nonprofit board leaders across the country each year by providing an extensive range of tools and resources—including Webinars, in-person training sessions, original publications, consulting services and consulting diagnostics—to increase their effectiveness and magnify the impact of their mission.
In 1988, BoardSource was established as the NationalCenterfor Nonprofit Boards by the Independent Sector and the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges when they recognized the sectors need for an organization that specifically focuses on improving nonprofit effectiveness by strengthening nonprofit boards.
Today, through partnerships and alliances with other organizations, BoardSource reaches large numbers of nonprofit leaders. It brings experience and distinctive value to these networks. For example, BoardSource collaborates with such organizations such as Corporation for Public Broadcasting, American Association of Museums, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, Habitat for Humanity International, National Council of La Raza, andUnited WayofAmerica, to provide guidance on what constitutes good governance and to offer educational opportunities in new approaches to governance. BoardSource also delivers publications and Web-based governance resources for nonprofits of all sizes and mission types.
For more information about BoardSource, please visit www.boardsource.org.
Position and Opportunity
Reporting to the COO and in collaboration with members of the BoardSource senior management team, the Vice President of Strategic Development & Partnerships has overall responsibility for all of BoardSources fundraising and direct sales strategies and activities. He/she leads efforts to devise and successfully execute an effective and comprehensive fundraising and sales plan augmented by strategic partnership outreach to drive growth, sustainability, and new initiatives.
The Vice President of Strategic Development & Partnerships personally manages a portfolio of current and prospective funders and clients, with an emphasis on large-scale, multiyear partnerships that support the organizations plans for strategic growth and expansion. He/she is also responsible for working with the seven-person SD&P team to strategically engage the Board, President, and Chief Operating Officer in support of those key relationships, and is responsible for the coordination and strategic deployment of all staff with explicit roles in fundraising and sales, which includes in addition to the Vice President of Strategic Development & Partnerships the following individuals:
- President & CEO
- Chief Operating Officer
- Director of Resource Development
- Senior Client Manager
- Client Managers (2)
- Resource Development Officers (2)
- Strategic Development & Partnerships Coordinator.
As a member of the organizations senior team, the Vice President of Strategic Development & Partnerships also helps identify strategic opportunities for the organization, including sharing their perspectives on the fundability or sales potential of various strategies, plans, and programs. This individual, along with the entire SD&P team, collaborates with BoardSources Marketing & Communications, Membership, Consulting and Training, and Publications & Research teams to identify and implement new approaches to securing and expanding contributed and earned revenue relationships with key donors and prospects.
An exceptional opportunity exists for the incoming VP of Strategic Development & Partnerships. This individual will have a tremendous impact at an entrepreneurial, highly-acclaimed organization that has successfully ridden the wave of growing interest in governance within the nonprofit environment in theU.S.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Actively participate with other members of the senior management team in developing strategic, operating, and budget plans for the organization
- Stay abreast of key trends within the nonprofit leadership community with an emphasis on funding and programmatic trends related to nonprofit boards, volunteerism and service, and leadership
- Maintain a current and comprehensive understanding of the competitive landscape
- Provide regular updates to CEO, Senior Team, and other relevant staff to highlight resource obligations, current status, emerging trends and critical issues
- Provide input on how to increase BoardSources reach and impact by working with the Senior Team, Chief Operating Officer, President, and Board of Directors to develop strategies to promote the organization in the media, on the web, and through other publications
Fundraising & Direct Sales
- Manage a portfolio of 50+ large-scale donors, clients, and prospects, with a focus on increasing the number of $100,000+ funding/client relationships
- Establish a firm understanding of BoardSources programs and services, including consulting and training services, to support strategic and effective fundraising and sales efforts by the SD&P team and by him/herself personally
- Develop a multiyear fundraising and direct sales plan that identifies a diverse base of support for BoardSource programs and services
- Partner with, guide, and support the President and Chief Operating Officer in their participation in fundraising and client development activities. Support the President in the role of chief spokesperson and fundraiser for BoardSource.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications team to promote public awareness opportunities for the President and Board Members as they relate to fundraising and sales.
- Partner with the President to engage and support the Board in their fundraising and sales activities on behalf of BoardSource.
- Oversee SD&P department budget. Create and implement tracking mechanisms to ensure department goals are on target
- Refine, implement, and manage processes and systems to ensure that sales and fundraising processes are structured to fully leverage staff resources
- Manage team and goals in a way that prioritizes projects that meet programmatic goals and deliver high-margin revenue opportunities
- Develop, lead, and mentor a diverse and high-quality staff that is well prepared to meet the ongoing challenges of the organization, ensuring the quality of their work as well as their professional development
- Exhibit an open and collaborative leadership style that empowers staff through active communication and delegation, and promoting teamwork.
- Set appropriate, clearly-defined, measurable departmental and individual goals; ensure staff accountability for excellence and achievement of these goals
- Provide direction and guidance on implementation of strategies, plans, and projects
- Track progress on department objectives, revenue goals, strategies, and projects
Desired Background, Qualifications and Personal Attributes
- 10+ years of experience in fundraising or sales, with at least five of those years in foundation and/or corporate fundraising. Experience in corporate sponsorship, cause-related or other marketing a plus
- MBA or masters degree preferred.
- Experience securing earned or contributed support for well-scoped projects and services
- Demonstrated track record in personally identifying and securing $100,000+ grants
- Strong track record of leading a fundraising and/or sales team to achieve revenue goals; successful track record selling an intangible mission
- Ability to effectively represent the organization as a writer, thinker, and speaker under a variety of circumstances, including interactions with the media, professional conferences, and meetings with funders and clients
- Excellent proposal-writing skills and demonstrated attention to detail, including experience responding to complex RFPs
- Broad knowledge of the nonprofit sector including an understanding of sub-segments within the sector and knowledge of emerging trends within the sector; past or present service as a member of a nonprofit board a plus
- A friendly and supportive management style that brings out the best in staff and colleagues
- An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative approach to problem-solving
- Possesses a sense of humor and ability to prioritize effectively
- Thrives in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- This position requires up to 35% travel (one to two overnights per month)
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for the VP of Strategic Development & Partnerships includes a competitive base salary commensurate with experience and an excellent package of employee and health benefits.
ThinkingAhead Executive Search has been retained on this assignment. Please send your resume and salary history and requirements in a Word format to
Kara Teising, Partner, to learn more.