Some groups that have received unexpectedly hefty bequests say it's best to take a long-term view and not get caught up starting pet projects.
The 2013 Philanthropy 400
America's 400 largest nonprofits increased donations just 4 percent last year and say they expect 2013 to be flat, a Chronicle study finds.
- The Battle for No. 1 Charity Heats Up
- Charities Whose Donations Grew and Dropped the Most in 2012
$100,000 for New Mothers
Among the 10 new grants posted today: $100,000 from the George Gund Foundation to the Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition to provide new mothers with information about health and safety through their mobile phones. Search The Chronicle's database of more than 38,000 grants.
Search Grant Deadlines
An annual study finds that donors gave more in 2013 than ever before. Stanford raised $931-million last year, topping all institutions but the University of California...
- Investing in Fundraisers Who Cultivate Big Donors Pays Off, Studies Find
- Donations Rose 4.9% in 2013, Study Finds
- Pay-for-Success Projects Spread to More States
- Group Estimates Philanthropy Rose 13% in 2013, Clashing With 'Giving USA’
Ideas & Advice
In a session at the annual interactive conference, Giving Tuesday's founder says he and his colleagues are looking for ways to inspire charitable giving year-round.
- 6 Apps to Simplify Fundraising Tasks
- SXSW Update: Tips From Experts on Running a Great Crowdfunding Site
- SXSW Update: How Crowdfunding Sites Could Be Better
- A Bestselling Author Helps Historical Groups Raise Money