As more states legalize gay marriage, nonprofits see a source of new money — but some donors say they have been put off by a lack of sensitivity by some charities.
How Peer Pressure Affects Giving
GlobalGiving enlisted behavioral economists to figure out how to encourage people to give more and found that the best technique was to show that lots of other people were also increasing their contributions.
This Week's New Grants
Search Grant Deadlines
The median salary increased to $71,100, according to a new study by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, though the gap between men's and women's pay is still big.
- Donors Await Boy Scouts Decision on Gay Ban
- Charities Step Up Security for Events After Boston Bombings
- Most Charities Forecast Rise in Donations in 2013
- Online Giving Totals Rise by 21%, Study Finds
Ideas & Advice
Charities learn that creating meaningful ways for athletes to connect with a cause and enlisting retailers to boost giving can increase revenue.
- Raising Money From Gay Couples: Advice From the Experts
- Temp Fundraisers Can Ease the Strain of High Turnover
- Charities Deal With a Stream of Challenges From Angry Donors
- Donor-Advised-Fund Tool Sends Gifts Directly to Charities
Fundraising Fundamentals Podcast
With the growth of smartphone use, messages need to be more concise and attention-grabbing and should include multimedia, says an expert.