Six charities had raised more than $11.3-million as of Monday in response to the deadly tornadoes that devastated parts of several Southern states last week.
The organizations reported the following fund-raising results:
• The American Red Cross had raised $9.7-million as of May 1. (This includes money raised for the storms in the Midwest.)
• AmeriCares had raised $32,500 as of May 2.
• Direct Relief International had raised $2,973 as of May 2.
• Samaritan’s Purse had raised $873,926 as of May 2. Over three-fourths of that amount was raised online.
• United Way of West Alabama had raised $50,000 as of May 1. About $35,000 of that total was raised online.
• Save the Children had raised $236,000 as of May 2.
• The Salvation Army had raised $450,000 as of May 1. Of that amount, $335,000 was raised online, $115,000 was raised over the phone, and $7,000 was donated via text message.